Utah’s Poisonous Plants YOU Need To Watch Out For
Utah may be beautiful, but some of its plants are deceivingly poisonous and that doesn’t just mean death but rashes, stomach pains, and more.
Since Utahns and tourists alike are big fans of the outdoors, it’s a good idea to know your plants if you’re heading out for a hike. It’s pretty common for people to bring their young kids and pets with them and unfortunately, they are more susceptible than anyone to these plants.
However, some of these plants can be found in homes too.
Utah Poison Control has a whole list of poisonous plants that cause a variety of issues. Despite all the different types and looks there are some ways to try and remain safe.
Tips To Prevent Plant Poisonings in Utah:
- Never eat any part of an unknown plant or mushroom. Teach children never to put leaves, stems, bark, seeds, or berries in their mouths.
- Keep poisonous house plants out of reach of young children. Store bulbs and seeds out of sight and out of reach.
- Learn to identify the poisonous plants in your yard and neighborhood. The poison control center cannot identify a plant from a telephone description.
- Do not assume a plant is safe because birds or other animals eat it.
- Do not rely on cooking to destroy poisons in plants. Be cautious when using plants in nature as a medicine or tea; unwanted effects may occur.
- Any plant may cause reactions in certain people.
- House plants are a common cause of poisoning in children.
- If a plant is eaten, remove the rest of the plant from the mouth. Rinse the mouth with water. Call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 or your family doctor immediately.
Utah Poison Control names six common poisonous plants to watch out for; Philodendron, Jimson Weed, Dumb Cane, Foxglove, Virginia Creeper, Stinging Nettle, and Baneberry. Among these, Philodendron, Jimson Weed, and Foxglove are ranked as poisonous and could have awful effects. Meaning, these will do more than irritate your skin or cause stomach pains.
There are more poisonous plants to look out for, but these are what you will run into most frequently in the right places. For a full list visit here.